Saturday, July 20, 2013

Haircuts and Backpacks

 Today, I cut my hair. Seems like it should be a simple endeavour, nothing that should elicit crazy nerves about going to China. Not true for me at all. When I was teaching in Rimouski for the year, I got a little trim after a lot of building myself up to it. I was nervous about trying to do this in China. I only can say a few essential phrases like "Do you speak English?" in Mandarin so far. Therefore, the thought of trying to explain how to cut my hair was mildly terrifying. Just mildly.
I finally got a new backpack. My other one has served me well but is far from being in decent condition. I had been researching packs a while back and was finding that they were just too expensive for me right now and I had resigned to using my decrepit Reebok bag. But today I bought a Mountain Hardwear pack at Winners of all places; it was surprisingly cheap! I, of course, had to test it out. I think I'm going to need a little help getting fitted for it - I kind of struggled. I only put a few things in for the first test and will really need to do some re-organizing to fit everything in there that I need to take on the plane with me. Tomorrow, I plan to wear it for the better part of the day to see how it feels before I commit to it. Any packing advice?

I also had to test out whether or not my Grammie's afghan would fit into it as I so badly want to take it on the plane with me. It makes everything a little squished so I may have to swap it out for a different airplane blanket. I've been advised that if this is too difficult then a big scarf (such as a pashmina) will do the trick.



My next post will hopefully be a collection of some resources I've dug up based on what I THINK I'm teaching. It still hasn't been confirmed. If you have any good Drama lesson plans or activities, please pass them along to me. Or if you know of someone who does, have them pass it along to me. I also need some great EAL resources! 

Our orientation is in two days in Fredericton, so you'll get the DL on that as well. Probably. Most likely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment