Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Biggest Ikea in the World

It's an exciting (and mildly unsettling) feeling to realize that you have no idea when you'll be returning to Canada for good. I leave in three weeks and will be in China for at least four months; however, after my orientation day in Freddy, I've realized that I could very easily be there for up to three years (gulp).

At orientation, we became familiar with teaching ELLs (English language learners), we learned about some of the logistics of living in China, and most importantly we met lots of people. Four of us drove to Fredericton and all had the chance to meet some of the other people who will be in Beijing with us. I was surprised to meet the head of CISB and the two principals.

When you think headmaster type, you think that they will be sort of uptight, uber-professional, and rigid. But not true for this guy. He started to explain one of the first places he would be taking us when we arrived. My mind when to the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, the Great Wall - you know, the historical and predictable tourist sites. Know what he said?

"The biggest Ikea in the world!"

He really put us at ease.

Throughout our conversation, I realized that I could very likely end up working full-time after my internship with just a short little trip home to PEI for Christmas. Crazy.

In case, you missed one of my other posts - click here for my school's website.

P.S. I'm still not sure when it will begin, but my video updates will begin soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment