Monday, September 2, 2013

Warnings and Ponderings


At last, a calm evening in with a cup of coffee, some music, and writing to you people. Splendid. I will apologize in advance, I'm too lazy to attempt to keep this post organized. So here we go with my thoughts on the past week. Part 1: Tidbits on living the safe life. Part 2: International ponderings



First, Beijing air and I do not get along. Not a bit. Some of you lucky ones have already heard my Beijing cough via skype. For those who are not lucky enough to have heard this wonderful sound, I assure you: it's impressive. We've had mostly blue skies, too so I'm really dreading the city's coal-burning months; I've already been warned. Also, my skin and hair is slowly adjusting to the water here as well. If only I could boil all the yucky stuff out of all the water I use. 

If you have are thinking of travelling to Beijing, be prepared for a few weeks of transition once you get here. Eventually your skin, lungs, and hair will adjust and become immune to the toxins. Yay.

Also, hopefully you are not accident prone if you are coming to China. Walking down the street is a dangerous feat I tell you; especially when there are several trees strategically planted in the middle of the sidewalk. These trees along with the many loose bricks make for a fun obstacle course. I especially like watching the women in four inch heels maneuvering the course. Silly ladies. 

Then there's the traffic and street crossing you have to become pro at unless you would like to get flattened. But don't worry, drivers will honk incessantly at you before they consider flattening you. Fair warning. You'll be amazed at how quickly your peripheral vision will improve.

Part 2: This is the part that won't send you into a worrisome fit. I don't think anyway.

I've had my first week of classes at CISB and my first real weekend of doing things in Beijing. School life is so very different here in Beijing; students are very academically focused. I have one student in grade seven who went to Canada and the US with his parents this past summer to visit University of Toronto, McGill, Harvard, MIT, etc. I couldn't believe it. He's 13! It's just the mentality here. 

Something that I'm loving already about international teaching is how many cultures we get to experience in one class. I have one really small English lit class with only four students. Each one speaks a different first language: Russian, English, Chinese, Portuguese. It's really neat to see people connecting over their similarities and not focusing on their differences. But, they appreciate and respect the unique differences. 



My desk :) Forgive the barren state

I've been going to a big international church and a "small" group on Thursday nights. There is close to 1000 people in the entire church but often we divide and meet in smaller congregations so that people can meet and use their own language. Occasionally, all come together for a giant international service. 

That was yesterday. Two languages through the whole service but the best part was when we were told to all sing in our own language. There are no barriers. We were still saying the same words to the same God. It was the coolest thing.

In my time teaching in Quebec and now here in China, so many of my prejudices have been broken. I was told that the Chinese are not friendly. I was prepared for brazen looks, shoving, and impolite people. The Chinese I've met are the opposite. They smile and say "ni hao" when they pass you, they'll try to make conversation, and you'll find similarities while speaking in different languages. Of course there is the odd rude person but you will get that everywhere. 

(however, put them in a car and they become a different person but that is a different story)

What I'm saying is don't assume. It's hard not to make a generalization, I've been there. But try for the sake of that person you've pre-judged.

Sorry for the tangent. In my next post, I'm going to share some photos and stories from my weekend around the city. Seriously, I traipsed all around the city (okay, maybe not the whole city) on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment